Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, April 9, 2010

Breakthrough

What the hell am I doing posting so soon? I couldn't resist, as I just had a major breakthrough. For the first time ever, whilst watching Star Trek (2009) for the umpteenth time (could be as many as 30), I did NOT cry in the opening sequence when George Kirk sacrifices himself. It is the score that always takes me over the edge - every single time. Up to this point, I have not been able to help myself. This is a huge step..... Apologies, this falls into the category of my personal life. Not supposed to go there. (Ps: I had to come back and add, because most people don't know me, crying and laughing are not common occurrences in this person, so to have been so moved by that particular scene in the first place was something that hadn't occurred in a long time.)

Speaking of movie scores and/or soundtracks....there are some good movies that fall slightly flat when their scores are weak (I can think of: Ladyhawke).... there are movies that I have bought the soundtracks for, but not the movie. Then there are some amazing scores - The Mission, Last of the Mohicans, Glory - where the music is as powerful as the movie itself. There are more, I just can't think of them right now. There are also movies where the score has a personality of its own but works seamlessly with the scenes - Nora Ephron and Ridley Scott movies are good examples of this. Please note that I do not have a great memory for such things, so the movie or the music has to be pretty damn good for me to remember it.

No comments: