Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, May 24, 2010

Deftones


Music feeds us, nurtures us, and ultimately defines us.

In my blog profile, I did not include the Deftones in my list of favourite music, but I have chosen to write this post about them, because they have found a special place in my....er.... heart??? Notwithstanding that I had heard a few of their songs, and thought they were great, and bought a number of their CDs, but I did not find them as "easy listening" as say Metallica or Korn. By "easy listening", I don't mean like Fuel or Nickelback, I just mean for me, as comfort music. Inasmuch as there is comfort food, there is also comfort music. The Deftones were just not "comfort music". Theirs was a bit grittier, a bit gnarlier, rough around the edges, not as clean, not as refined as my "go to" music, Metallica and Korn. However, they got me, when I heard the cover they did of a song by a band that I absolutely adored (did I actually ever adore anything?) when I was a teenager. The band was Duran Duran and the song, "The Chauffeur". But, that is not the reason for this post. I just got their latest album..uh.... CD, and after listening to it a number of times over the past week.... what can I say. It is the best I've heard from any band in a while. There are no gimmicks, no feeble attempt at reinvention. They have gone back to basics, and in that, they have been reborn.

No comments: