Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Three Cups of Tea

Last week I read "Three Cups of Tea", which, being non-fiction is not my usual choice for reading material. However, I picked it up because it sounded like an amazing story. Amazing indeed. Usually when I try something new it does not turn out well, but this book I found to be an exception, and could not put it down. Written in third person, narrative style (Who knows if I am remembering my grade school grammar terms correctly, but I don't think the grammar police frequent my blog so I should be all right.), it is a fascinating story of one man's personal journey spanning three continents, four countries and as many cultures as well as extremely diverse peoples. When I was about one third through the book, I was wondering what else could happen in this man's life. Half way through I thought what else could this man do? Pretty much by that point, I thought everything had been covered, but boy was I wrong. I highly recommend this book, despite the fact that it made me feel totally inadequate as a human being.

Written/Published by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin in 2006, it is as pertinent today as it was then, especially if you are up on current events in Pakistan and Afghanistan. My suggestion is - don't google it, just read it.

No comments: