Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, August 29, 2010

Being Canadian means something darn it


I remember in my younger days going tubing, which, if you are unfamiliar, is when you take an inner tube filled with air, and go floating down a river, rapids or not. I could already swim by the time I tried this, but I also knew to respect the water, to respect the river, regardless of how calm it might seem. This wasn't something someone had to teach me, it was something that I knew. A few years down the road, a teenage boy I knew died in the same river, doing the same thing, having ventured where it was both dangerous and unpredictable. In life, as in the river, nothing is predictable, whether you are reckless or cautious. I suppose the best we can do is be careful.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off on that tangent. That was intended to be a simple segue into this: Today, I went tubing again, but hardly. I went YouTubing on a quiet Sunday afternoon. I don't quite remember where I started, but somehow, I ended up finding this:
and this:
A British view on Canadian fallen soldier please, in addition to watching, please read the words and follow it to the end. It makes you proud, but breaks your heart.

1 comment:

MCF said...

I've been tubing twice in my life, probably both risky ventures considering I can't swim. The first time was when I was a teenager, and a friend of a friend had a speedboat. I wore a life vest, so when he cut the boat that was towing me into a turn and I went flying into the Long Island Sound, I eventually floated back to the surface. At that speed, water is SOLID. The second time was in college or a year after I graduated, went upstate with some friends and drifted down a river. Hit some rocks and rapids that were a little scary, but the water wasn't too deep and we made it fine. In hindsight, I don't remember if we even wore vests for that. I do remember freezing on the open car train that took us from the bottom of the mountain back up to the parking lot afterwards.

YouTubing isn't as fun, but definitely safer.