Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, August 15, 2010

Logic v Emotion II - Tennis


I started playing tennis again after not doing so on a regular basis for almost two years. Whilst I was hitting backhands against the backboard, I was, in my mind, doing a brief comparative study between my tennis ability, or lack of it, to Logic and Emotion.

My backhand is better than my forehand. It is reliable. It has balance, structure, discipline, control. I therefore equate my backhand to Logic. The more balance you have, the better structure. The better structure you have, the more discipline. The more discipline you have, the better control. The more control you have, the more power you can generate. Backhand = Logic = Powerful.

My forehand, on the other hand (pardon the pun), is my weaker shot. It is unreliable. It fluctuates. This being so, I equate my forehand to Emotion. There are too many positions my arm can move to. Too many options. I can generate power even if my feet are positioned wrong. I can mishit even if my stance is correct. Either way, at any given time, my forehand can show good form, but still be weak, or can be slightly sloppy and still be as potent as my backhand. The clincher is that if hit right, it blows away my backhand, hands down. Forehand = Emotion = Potent.

On the other hand, either way, I get to hit the shit out of a ball. (Pardon my language.)

No comments: