Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Providence?


The other day a gentleman came into my shop to browse and we talked a little about antiques and other matters. Somehow we got on the topic of my collecting old books, which happens to include classical poetry, English literature, educational texts, art history, old bibles and some other religious texts, among other things. He asked if I would be interested in a book that he had, which is a modern printing of a religious text written by a woman in 1888. He went to his car and came back with a paperback. I flipped through the pages as we kept talking, and I noticed that the name of the author looked extremely familiar. He went on his way, and I went to check my bookshelf. Where was that one? I went through the stack on the shelf and found the faded blue book I was looking for. Aha! Same author. The book I have was published in 1892 and may be a first edition. Of course, I went outside to see if the gentleman was still there. He was heading up the street, so I caught up with him to show him the book I had tucked away in my small collection. Needless to say, after looking at it, he asked if I was selling it and I said...... sorry no. Some businesswoman I am.

The word "providence" has a few meanings, and you have probably heard the term "Divine Providence" before, but I am rather fond of this definition: "the prudence and care exercised by someone in the management of resources." I would like to think of this definition under these circumstances as Divine Humour.

No comments: