Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, August 11, 2010

When in Rome

My posts lately have been so....full of..... words. To that I shall say, just be glad I don't write about everything that's on my mind. That being said, here's some lighter fare.... a movie review.

I hadn't watched any movies in a while, so when this one came out, I figured it would be an easy to watch, sweet, light-hearted, no-brainer romantic comedy. Well.....it was, BUT, what a pleasant surprise indeed. It made me laugh...yes... seriously laugh, thanks to the writing, provided by David Diamond and David Weissman, and the performances of the leads, Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel, as well as an amazing supporting cast, and I mean amazing. It gives new meaning to "A Midsummer Night's Dream". There was however one scene which involved bad acting, bad directing, or perhaps a bit of both. It was just plain odd.

Now what can I say about Josh Duhamel. Mr good-looking tough guy from Transformers I and II is absolutely endearing playing charming, clumsy and funny, Nick Beaman. Then there is Bobby Moynihan as his best buddy, Puck, who is hilarious, with the few, but memorable lines that he has. Did I mention the supporting cast? Angelica Huston (she plays witchy so well), Danny De Vito (lovestruck fool? no problem), Don Johnson (looking a lot older and.... greazzzy), Dax Shepard (hilariously cheezzzy), Jon Heder (actually looks good in a tux, and in eyeliner), and a few lesser knowns who steal the scenes in which they were placed so well.

A clue that this wouldn't be your normal, everyday romantic comedy is that it is directed by Mark Steven Johnson, who was the writer and director of..... Ghost Rider and Daredevil. So, all in all, this movie was funny and sweet with just enough physical comedy and... action too.... to make it quirky enough to keep this Spockgirl.....amused....ok so I was more than amused.

No comments: