Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I feel like sharing...


Yeah.... wha?  The mundane... again.

This evening during my obligatory twice bi-weekly sports activity, the other players and I could hear the wind howling outside and the rain thrashing against the building. One young man, new to this province, could not resist, and had to open the gymnasium door to take a look. He opened the door, got a gust of wind and a face full of rain and ... that was it.  He closed the door and we continued playing. By the time we were done, the rain and wind had died down to almost nothing, and it seemed considerably warmer than it had been, which, of course, would explain the sudden storm.

I walked home, washed up, and was just ready to enjoy a bowl of oatmeal with toast, when I noticed the wind picking up again, and I heard a bang outside. I went to check the front porch where a couple days ago I had put a six foot tall armoire until I could find a place for it in the shop.  It was as I had figured... the door had blown open. So I got some string and tied it up, whilst the wind was desperately trying to push me around. So, everything was in order. I went back in the house, sat down again, and a few minutes later... another loud bang...thud... Now what? I looked out the door and there... at the bottom of the stairs, there lay the armoire, face down on the rain soaked walkway. It looked so big there, in the dark, this painted white armoire... I smiled.... chuckled to myself. What else? I then noticed one of the small metal urns had also fallen off the stairs, so I picked it up and moved it to the back steps, taking note that it was now missing a chunk off the rim. I went back to pick up the plant that had plopped out during its fall. Intact, fine, good.

I went back inside to ponder on the situation. Should I try to push the armoire back up the stairs and move it into the house? Should I leave it there all night? What if it's damaged? So I went back outside to get a feel for how heavy it was again.... not bad. I decided to turn it over to see what damage the fall had caused. It was dark so I only saw one small section where the wood had cracked apart, but NOT off...  I laid it back down gently and left it there. It's kind of sad... forlorn looking, face down, in the rain, in the dark.

As I sit in the kitchen writing this, the wind has died down completely. It is deathly silent. I don't feel right leaving it lying there, in the rain, in the dark.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

awwww, I felt sad for the poor armoire. What a crazy wind storm with high wind gusts ~ I couldn't sleep because of the racket !

Spockgirl said...

Hey J!
I felt sad for it too, so went to check on it one more time last night. Turned it on its side to let the water drain off, and hoped for the best. Had fun getting it back up the stairs this morning, with help. More serious re-arranging to do. Yippee!