Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Last night's windspeed...

... was .... 70 kph.... not quite scary, but enough to knock a few things down.

The post I wrote last night might be one of the dumbest things I have ever written. However, that being said, I must admit that it was indeed the most exciting event of my life this month. Sad, I know. Last month, it was falling down the "slippery when wet" stairs, cartoon fashion. I gave myself bonus points for not letting go of what I was holding in each hand. It was only.... three... steps... but in that short span of time, right after telling myself not to slip, and my feet going out from under me, what flashed through my mind was: don't drop these things, don't hit your head, did anybody see that? I hope I don't hurt anything other than my a...

7 comments:

Inner Prop said...

I think if you had thought of just one more thing you might have distracted yourself enough to fly.

See "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" by Douglas Adams for an explination.

Spockgirl said...

Never did read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". I remember that line from the movie, but didn't know he had written anything after the first one. The book got so much hype that I didn't check it out. Probably should, as you are the second person that has brought the author up.

By the way... if you notice in the sidebar, there is the link to "I Write Like". You should try it with something you've written. But you have to copy and paste a few paragraphs, not just a couple sentences. It can be... interesting, but for fun of course.

Inner Prop said...

I took a quiz like that once and it said I was Phillip Jose Farmer, whom I've never read and at the time had never even heard of.

I read Adams in the 80s, when he was still writing (he's decomposing now, like Bach).

I do think you should check him out. They are very easy reads

Spockgirl said...

IP:
Hmm... a couple pieces of my writing that I chose to "test", came out that I wrote like Vladimir Nabokov... whom I also had never read.

You read Adams in the 80s? His books were from way back then?Geesh. I can barely remember the 80s, let alone books I read... Only authors I can recall are Tolkien, LeGuin, McCaffrey.

T1G said...

Another Adams reader, here! He's got a great writing style, and at times I've been laughing out loud while reading...

Anyway, the previous post was actually pretty cool... made it seem like the armoire was alive.

Spockgirl said...

T1G:
OK.. So you are the 3rd person that has recommended Adams. I'll have to ask Santa for it, but he's become a rather frugal bastard in the last few years. (Did I just say that?)

As for the armoire... it WAS alive. Heh. And... thank you for SAYING you thought what I wrote was "actually pretty cool".

Spockgirl said...

Sorry again. My last comment: "I'll have to ask Santa for it, but he's become a rather frugal bastard in the last few years." is another insider joke. I am not in the habit of calling other people names. Santa in my house = me.