Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, November 10, 2010

USMC.... say what?


Am I turning into a blogging machine? Maybe. Don't I have better or more important things to do? Uh... yeah. Why am I posting again, so soon? Because... I learned something new last night. I found out that I actually know the official Marine Corps hymn.  I didn't even know it was the official hymn until last night. Why am I writing about this in particular? Well... in my bloghopping travels in the past few days, I have seen a number of sites and blogs wishing the USMC a Happy 235th Birthday. I wasn't thinking of doing a post for this because, it truly has absolutely nothing to do with me. Anyways, I went to check out their official site, et voila.... there were the words to the hymn. As I read them, the tune came into my head.... Why? I don't know. For the life of me I can't remember any of my birthdays growing up, but I can remember this song. Maybe I watched one too many war movies during my formative years. Who knows. So... here I am wishing the United States Marine Corps a Happy Birthday.... because I can.

I will resume some semblance of normal soon. But.... I am starting to wonder myself.... what the heck is normal?

6 comments:

Inner Prop said...

Drat I missed it, and me the son of a Marine.

I'm going to have to put that in my PDA to remind me.

My Dad was an on again off again Scoutmaster of our troop and he came up with our troop song (absolutely funny since he was tone deaf), of course it is sung to the tune of the Marine Corps Hymn:

From the Church on Kostner Avenue
To whereever scouts may roam
You will find troop 881
Is the troop that's hard to beat
We will give them such a struggle
That they'll go home in disgust
For the troop that takes all honors
Is troop 881 that's us!

Happy belated birthday!

Inner Prop said...

ERP, that's "To where ever scouts may MEET" not "Roam."

Roam is what the Marines do, in foam.

Spockgirl said...

IP:
So... as I was reading that I had to sing it to the tune (very quietly... to myself of course). You mention that your dad was tone deaf, so I'm curious to know if he could read music.

T1G said...

Thanks, Spockgirl!!!

Inner Prop said...

He played an instrument just the once in Kindergarten. Everyone had to be in the band and he was so bad that they eventually gave him a triangle.

He played that so badly that they eventually told him to just hold it.

They didn't even tell him to just hold it and look pretty.

No, he could not read music. He didn't even play the radio well.

Spockgirl said...

Did you write about that in your "Papa Stories?"...(I have forgotten to go and check on that blog.)
The reason I asked about reading music is that I was wondering how he chose the words for the troop song... I am guessing that he must have just counted syllables.