Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Fight Club...


Sooooo..... I was thinking of just posting this mash-up without an explanation as to why (other than the fact that it cracked me up), but then figured... aw heck... might as well.

You will note on the sidebar I have a link to "I Write Like". What you do is copy and paste a piece of your writing and it "analyzes" its similarities with "real" writers' works. When I first found the link, I tried it out just for fun. Ever skeptical, I tried a number of items that I had written, and the following come up more than twice: Vladimir Nabokov, James Joyce and Charles Dickens. One of the hitches is that it only relates the writing to a database of authors, not poets. I hadn't tried this for a while, so today I decided to "analyze" the poem I wrote on my "Quiet stillness" post. It came out as "David Foster Wallace". I have only heard of this writer once before, and that was when I had "analyzed" another piece I had written a few months back. Of course, I had googled him at the time and found his personal story to be both intriguing, tragic and strangely pertinent to issues that were entering my sphere of learning.

So being in the curious mode, I also tried out the post called "Christmas Found", which came back as "Chuck Palahniuk". Say who? I googled him and found out a few interesting things. He was born February 21, 1962, the same day as David Foster Wallace. One of the other tidbits is that Chuck Palahniuk is the author of "Fight Club". Yes, that "Fight Club". A book that was made into a movie starring a personal favourite of mine, Edward Norton, and a former hottie, Brad Pitt. (Sorry Brad, once you reach a certain age you must relinquish the hottie title.) After reading the wiki article, I found the video mash-up on the author's official website.

Oddly enough, I have never read any of the authors noted above, and as I have said before, I write, but I am not a writer. And... it would appear with the increased frequency of writing and sharing bits and pieces of me that despite what I thought a couple months ago, my blog journey isn't quite ready to end just yet.

5 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

I hadn't checked that link before... now I am hooked. Interesting stuff came up for me as well.

Spockgirl said...

Ralphd00d:
It was one of those links that I tried on a lark when I first found it. I think I must have tried over 20 pieces. These writers are the ones that came up two or three times each.
Curious to know which ones pop up more than twice for your stuff.

T1G said...

I ended up with "Stephen King" for a few of my entries... which is cool by me.

Also ended up with "Stephenie Meyer", whom I had to look up... not so cool, there.

As for Chuck, never did read "Fight Club", but kinda wish I had. I read "Choke", and while I found it kinda hard to put down, it was definitely NOT because it was a literary work of art. "Train Wreck" comes to mind...

Spockgirl said...

T1G:
Stephen King... yeah cool. I'll have to google the other one.

As for Chuck P... there was something mentioned about people FAINTING when his book was being read. Now I am really curious after your comment.

Spockgirl said...

T1G:
OMG... I am sooooo hip... I didn't know who Stephenie Meyer was. That is just TOO funny. Can't stop laughing over that.