Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Thursday, December 2, 2010

Goodbye...

Said goodbye to Grandma today. The service was held at the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and was, as expected, a traditional ceremony... chanting... incense... warm.... beautiful. While awaiting the burial at the cemetery, I strolled up a small incline where I saw this beautiful piece of statuary enclosed within a boxwood hedgerow. There was just something about it. I didn't notice then the crimson blooms in the foreground. Sad... beautiful... cold.  As I look at the picture now, it came to mind that I believe she and her husband had been married for 55 years... if he were alive today, they would have been together for 74.

I actually voluntarily hugged people today.

I made it through the service and the burial without any tears. It was only during Auntie S'  eulogy at the gathering that followed when I felt tears welling up in my eyes. Of course I did not have any tissue with me and had to use my fingers.  As usual I had been trying not to cry. Still doesn't feel right... this crying in public... don't think it ever will.

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

I don't care what you think ~ the next time I see you, you are getting a big hug. We all handle our grief in different ways. I hate how it tugs at your heart strings bringing on a mixed emotion of disbelief, dread, and overall sadness. I love the photo of the statue, it's really beautiful. You found something lovely on a sad, cold, dreary day.

Spockgirl said...

Hey J!
I don't need a hug.. seriously. I am just NOT a huggy person. It is kind of like the cat thing.I am more pensive than mournful.