Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, December 20, 2010

Translation please...


Not too many things bother me, or at least bother me enough to say something about. One thing is a lack of honesty, whether with oneself or to others. When someone says one thing, but means something else, or even worse, when they say something because they "think" that is what you want to hear. I have at times pondered this issue, and was prompted a couple years back to start writing a piece called "The Alternate Language" with a slightly humourous slant. One of the most basic examples of this is "I'm on my way." This statement is applied in a situation where the speaker has said they would be at a certain place at a pre-arranged time, or thereabouts. When five or ten minutes have passed from the ETA, and the person has not yet arrived, a query is made wherein the expected person says "I'm on my way." This is said to appease the person in waiting, regardless of the fact that both parties understand that this is NOT the case and that departure has not yet occurred, but is perhaps imminent.  Another one is "I'll be there in five minutes."  Although very similar to "I'm on my way", there is a vast or sometimes subtle difference between the two. "I'm on my way" implies or infers a sense of immediacy whereas "I'll be there in five minutes" allows for the possibility of the passage of a greater amount of time between departure and arrival. I have now come to the point where I then ask the question "Is that in your time.... or real time?"

Somewhere in a notebook I have a much better written version of the above, however I figured I would share the basic premise of it at this time, because... well, it seems like a good segue to this video that was posted earlier today over at a blog I check out regularly. Of course coming from the perspective of the opposite sex, it is much more entertaining than my point of view.


Hilarious... especially the male to female language translation. Couldn't stop laughing actually. Oh... and don't get me started on the Yoda voice.

Curtsy to Chris P from "I Know Funny".

No comments: