Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, June 25, 2011

Chocolat, Coffee and Fishsticks...


Oh... my...  I wandered upon another fabulous blog... Maison de Lin.  Yes... it is in French, and I highly recommend that you read this post in the language it was written in ... Do NOT hit the translate button. I didn't... I actually sat here looking at the pictures and reading the entire post out loud to myself...   Not very well spoken, but just forming the words with the mouth added to the visualization of it all.

Oh... and this is the video that was posted over there.




*****

I am not a real coffee drinker, but more of a fake coffee drinker. I do have a French Press, but I like the ease of making my instant coffee lattes. The one thing that I do absolutely like about unadulterated coffee is the aroma... its essence.  Oh... wait...  there is also espresso flavoured ice cream... or espresso milkshakes...  or Dairy Queen Mocha Moo-lattes... or McDonald's Iced Coffee.  Almost forgot the delicious crispness of Instant Coffee crystals sprinkled on top of vanilla ice cream.

Anyways... over at Noah's blog, he had posted this vid:


YouTubeLink.

*****

Now... what is up with Fishsticks in the title? I think I would have trouble with the concept of writing an entire blogpost dedicated solely to Fishsticks... get it? Solely? So I figured this would be an easier way to slide into this other guilty pleasure of mine... this thing I have for frozen Fishsticks.  (Guilty only because of this.)

I remember when I was a kid, there was a small cafe across the street where mom used to work. I remember they had Fish and Chips that I really liked, with the long triangular shaped pieces of fish. I remember Tartar sauce for the fish and ketchup for the fries. Damn... that was good stuff. I even remember the type of plates and dishes they had. I have no idea how the heck I remember that. I do know that I also liked just regular frozen Fishsticks... and I still do. As I got older, I never much cared for the "real" or "English style" Fish and Chips... with all that extra batter or coating... where there was hardly any fish inside. Anyways... last year during a rough one month spell... I thank my lucky stars for frozen fishsticks.  I think I went a month or two living primarily on popcorn, fishsticks and lettuce or spinach.. and it was good.  (Note:  I said "primarily", which means that I did eat other things as well.) Oh... but the reason... this came up... is because I recently had "Highliner" Lemon Pepper breaded fish. Agh... so, so very tasty, with just a little lemon juice squeezed on top.  With fresh Spinach or Cucumbers, and either Lemon Poppyseed dressing, or Asian Sesame.... simple, easy, fast and ... yummy... and ... cheap.

So... yes... I am a cheap date, but it is because I appreciate and value the simple things in life. However, that being said, I also know the value of quality and the finer things of life.

4 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

I like the coffee video! And fishstick...OMG! I love me deep fried fish... in stick or fillet form! Though, I do tend to change the taste, and like to use Miracle Whip on them like tartar sauce...

Spockgirl said...

Ralphd00d:
I thought the coffee vid was pretty damn good.

As for fishsticks... I think they are much maligned... looked down upon... like TV dinners. Hmmm... I am a Miracle Whip person, but have not tried that combination out. For plain fishsticks I also make a simple cocktail sauce with Extra hot Horseradish, Tabasco, Lime or Lemon juice and Ketchup.

Harvey said...

You haven't dined cheap until you've spent a few days living on 10-for-a-buck packs of Ramen noodles.

Spockgirl said...

Harvey:
10 for a buck? Or a buck each? A box of 10 large bags of popcorn for $7 is the best I can do here. 1 bag can be a meal or a meal and a half. More fibre and less sodium than instant Ramen.