Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, June 17, 2011

Earworms...


You know there is something wrong when you start humming, or even worse, singing... a Celine Dion song. Not that I did that. Nope. Just sayin. In actual fact, I was thinking on the subject of earworms, and what kind of songs get stuck in my head that I truly do not want to be in there. I do believe there are varying degrees of these types of problematic tunes. There are the kind that simply hover around in your mind, the kind wherein you just remember the music, or the lyrics... the kind that you simply hum and cannot stop... and the worst... the kind that is in your head and wants to escape through vocalization. It is at times like this that the worn out sieve of my mind comes in handy. At this very moment, I cannot in truth think of any songs in particular that fall into any of these categories. However, that being said, one night in the merry month of May, I found myself quietly humming Silent Night... and then the words... and then ...  the startling realization with the requisite...  "What the....?"

And... yes... I admit... I too, have been found guilty of planting one or two.

7 comments:

Harvey said...

*planting*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYN4djSq7o

Spockgirl said...

Harvey:
Sorry... that one won't work. It's silly, but just doesn't cut the mustard. I might be able to retain the line "llama llama duck", but that's about it.

Dohtimes said...

Fish heads Fish heads

Roly poly fish heads

Fish heads Fish heads

Eat em up Yum

Spockgirl said...

Dohtimes:
Hmm... not bad, but in order for an earworm to be truly effective, there must be sufficient aural stimulation.

Spockgirl said...

Hold on... No double entendre intended there. I meant that a link to a song would be helpful.

Dohtimes said...

In true ear worm fashion I hadn't heard that song in over thirty years but the beautiful chorus stuck with me. I checked YouTube and the original video is titled Barnes and Barnes The Fish Head Song (1979. MTV ran it for a while and it has an amazing amount of hits and various versions posted.

Spockgirl said...

Dohtimes:
Thanks for the info. I'll go check it out ... maybe... or not.