Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My library...


I have been wondering how it is exactly that my mind and my memory works. What came to mind this morning as I lay in bed not wanting to get out of bed, was “card catalogue”, and then “Dewey Decimal System”. For the life of me, I can’t remember how the latter system worked, but I do know that I learned how it functioned when I was a little kid. I do know that I went to the school library... that I did check books out and returned them on time... I remember some of the books, but I don’t remember what the library looked like or who the librarian was at that school for those first six years. As I sit here processing this, I realize that my memory functions solely out of necessity. I remember certain data or information that is required in order to complete certain tasks... tasks important to the moment or the current situation. In essence, I believe that I “file away” into the sub-recesses of my mind any unnecessary or inconsequential data or memories. Hmm.... I am, therefore, completely present ...in the moment. Whatever events that have occurred in my past, or information that I may have absorbed... has become a part of me... to make me who I am and how I am, but the memory of the event, or the piece of information has been archived. This may seem irksome to some people, but in stepping back for a moment, it appears now to be a perfectly sound system. To not be weighed down or boggled or holding on to details that may clutter or cloud one’s presence in the present.

Ah... this now requires much deeper thought.

2 comments:

Big Sister said...

Librarian hint: Mrs. W.

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis:
Nope... no bells a-ringing.