Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Thunderbird?


I took this photo a couple weeks ago, and when I looked at it, "Thunderbird" immediately came to mind. I went agoogling tonight to maybe add a link or two to some native folklore, but instead of wiki, I am posting something else that caught my eye, and my attention.

"When a vision comes from the thunder beings of the West, it comes with terror like a thunder storm; but when the storm of vision has passed, the world is greener and happier; for wherever the truth of vision comes upon the world, it is like a rain. The world, you see, is happier after the terror of the storm... you have noticed that truth comes into this world with two faces. One is sad with suffering, and the other laughs; but it is the same face, laughing or weeping. When people are already in despair, maybe the laughing is better for them; and when they feel too good and are too sure of being safe, maybe the weeping face is better....”   (from "Black Elk Speaks")

Inasmuch as my journey has brought me here, this speaks to me on so many levels.

8 comments:

DaveO said...

SG,

I'm a Thunderbird - former member of the 45th Infantry Brigade.

Thunderbirds are also considered cryptids, and there's been some write ups on sightings and such.

Just two immediate thoughts on your post.

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
Interesting.

"Former member" of, but not yet retired from the military. (Psst... are you allowed to be reading blogs at work?)

Yes... things like the Thunderbird, Sasquatch, Yeti, Loch Ness Monster and Ogopogo interested me when I was a kid, so it was rather cool to have this come back into my train of thought, and to read a little more last night.

Big Sister said...

Thunderbird or Phoenix....

Shades of high school socials studies... April 29, 1945, the US 45th Infantry Brigade (Thunderbird division)liberated the Nazi concentration camp - Dachau. Also: there was a unit of Japanese-American soldiers who played a role in the liberation of Dachau...but back to ze photo und ze other creatures of interest...

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis:
Thunderbird and Phoenix, two totally different concepts. My vision of a Phoenix can be seen
here.

As for the second part of your comment... Wow... just wow... that you remember all that. For some reason I would like to argue the point, but for the life of me I can't remember much of anything I learned in high school except Algebra, English lit, French and Accounting. Also interesting that you learned that in Social Studies and not History. They must have swapped out textbooks or changed the curriculum somewhere in between us. Then again... as I have said, I cannot access much data from that time period in my noggin.

Big Sister said...

I did a report on WWII in 9th grade - too much effort into research and hand-illustrated pics. Teacher was surprised...

I don't know why I can remember certain things either..."It's a mystery..."

Thunderbird and Phoenix - Ya, I know there's a difference, but I'm focusing on how the pic could be interpreted.

DaveO said...

In A-stan, the Thunderbirds of the 45th formed Task Force Phoenix. odd coincidences.

I take it you are referring to the 442d Regiment and the 100th Battalion? Did Canada field similar forces?

Both the Thunderbirds, and the units of Americans of Japanese descent linked up in Italy. So that they liberated the prisoners at Dachau together isn't surprising.

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis:
"I don't know why I can remember certain things either..."It's a mystery..."..."
Yeah...mystery... You probably even rememeber what shoes you were wearing.

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
Your most recent comment would be directed to and deferred to Big Sis... as I... know... nuszing.