Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Happy Meal...


From: BestHealthMag.Ca
"News: McDonalds is changing the Happy Meal, but is it really healthier?"


"McDonald's Canada announced yesterday that it will be adding a small serving of 1 percent milk fat yogurt to its Happy Meals this fall. The company will also be reducing the Happy Meal fries portion to 31 g (100 calories) from the current 71 g, reports CTV News. But will these changes make the Happy Meal a healthy choice?

The McDonald's Canada Nutrition Calculator doesn't list nutritional values for Happy Meal foods specifically, however consider this: A 71 g serving of fries contains 170 mg of sodium, so if we subtract the 40 g being cut from the new Happy Meal meal and you end up with 130 mg of sodium."

Hmm.... um.... This bothered me a little. The math part.

A 71 gram portion of fries is reduced to a 31 gram portion. If the 71 gram portion contains 170 mg of sodium, how much sodium does the 31 gram portion contain?

The author of the article wrote 130 mg.

What I figure with basic math is as follows:

x               31
170    =     71

x =  31/71 * 170 = 74

Therefore, the 31 gram portion of fries would contain 74 mg of sodium, not 130. However, I do take into consideration that the amount of salt that they add to the smaller portion of fries could technically be the exact same as the salt added to the larger portion, but whatever. Technically, parents COULD ask for unsalted fries.

Technically I could be cranky... or I could be suffering from McDonald's withdrawal.

4 comments:

thormoo said...

SG...YOU, cranky? No way! MD withdraw?
HaHaHa, that's probably it...

I used to love their burgers and fires...even their Filet of Fish...now I can't even smell the stuff w/out gagging. Bummed me out when they started to make fries w/out lard or whatever the freaking stuff was they fried them in. The McD's fries from my youth were exquisite...

Spockgirl said...

T:
Heh... I have nothing much to be cranky about, and no one to be cranky to except myself, so it doesn't last very long.

I don't remember McDonalds much from when I was younger, but I definitely find that the fast food joints don't quite produce the same "quality" as they used to.

DaveO said...

Do Canadian McD's still use animal fat to fry their fries? They do in Germany and WOW!!!!

Even tastes excellent with mayo, which took a little getting used to.

Spockgirl said...

D:
I have no idea whatsoever what kind of fat McDs uses to fry their fries. I just eat them.

As for mayo on fries? I'm not really much of a condiment person.