Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Library revisited...



I have to say that there was much more to this post in regards to the way my mind and my memory work, but for some reason I thought that the second part didn't flow properly with the first, and so... I held onto it a bit longer. I read it over a few times and am not quite sure why I hesitated in the first place. So, here is the continuation.

In pondering this a little more... I liken my childhood to many sheets of paper. I drew on those pieces of paper... I used waxed crayons, pencil crayons, watercolour paints, pastels and pencils. At any time, one sheet of paper with a drawing on it might get lost in the shuffle of life... tucked away in a book, or simply thrown out in the trash because it wasn’t worth keeping. Those sheets of paper... those moments... those memories... are gone, but the essence of their creation is who I am.

But wait...  I wonder where is the emotion? Where are the feelings generated from those moments? I cannot say for certain, as I do not remember, but obviously something would have been felt at the time. In this regard I would say that, as I noted above, “my memory functions solely out of necessity.” Any feeling or emotion that may have been evoked was present at the time, but did not need to exist much farther beyond that point. The emotion or feeling has long since faded, and to have held on to that feeling would have been redundant, or counter-productive.

But... now... that leads me to the present, and my inability to move forward, in which case I return to the library scenario. What would a library in chaos look like? Ah... a normal person might immediately picture books strewn about the floor, on tables, upside down, flipped open... a complete mess. Me.. on the otherhand, I see a librarian with Albert Einstein hair, being in utter dismay after having come to the slow realization that the card catalogue is in complete and utter disarray... and now must be put back in order... in addition to the books strewn about all over the place.

2 comments:

DaveO said...

One can have a card catalog completely in order, but with shelves in disarray.

One can have a card catalog in disarray, but with shelves completely in order.

One can have both in disarray, or both completely in order.

What then is the quintessence of chaos?

Having a library in the first place - but only reading the daily news sheets.

Perhaps you are in the enviable position of possessing true minimalist instinct. An object such as a drawing or a book can not store sentiment; but enjoying the company of family and friends provides one's necessary emotional nourishment.

Thinking you are blessed beyond measure.

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
Close but no cigar.

For the most part, found enjoyment in solitude, no emotional nourishment required after a certain point.

But, yes, I feel that I am blessed to possess a true minimalist instinct, which in all likelihood is the crux of my chaos.