Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Beauty...


"Everything has beauty, but not everyone can see it."
(from a Fortune Cookie I cracked open the other day)

I had written that down after I read it, as it was something that I had been thinking of, but not yet articulated in my own words, and which I wanted to expand on.  Anyways, something that I read today sparked a twinge of sadness and later on, it came back together with some tears welling up in my eyes as I was dredging the uncertain depths of the unknown once again.  That soon passed, the tears dried, the sadness subsided, and I continued on. Several minutes later, I noticed a droplet of water sitting on the very centre of my ankle-bone. I was momentarily puzzled as to where it had come from, but then realized that it was a teardrop. Was it that I had forgotten that some tears had fallen... or that I simply didn't expect to find a perfectly formed teardrop resting there undisturbed. All I could think of was that there was beauty in a moment of sadness.
Another thought... or rather question... regarding the concept of beauty came to me this evening. It is part and parcel of something that has been plaguing me for some time now, and ... I am sure it will continue to do so. How is it that one can find beauty in something that cannot be experienced by sight, smell, hearing, touch or taste? How exactly is that possible? To have found beauty in a moment of sadness. To find beauty in unspoken words. To find beauty in incongruity.

I think I am broken.

7 comments:

DaveO said...

If experience, as a noun, the conscious events that make up an individual life; or the act or process of directly perceiving events or reality.

and

If beauty is the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit; or particularly graceful, ornamental, or excellent quality.

then

is not your feeling of brokeness also the expression of your experience?

and

the quality of a person's attitude toward a thing as pleasurable remain pleasurable whether sensed or not.

therefore

your perception of the conscious events of your life leads you to aggregate these experiences as broken, and still beautiful.

Commentary perhaps unrelated: the value of one's life can not be perceived by the person without experiencing narcissism. One is measured not in one's own words, or even one's own deeds, but in the results of one's deeds.

For example, one husbands a rose bush. The goodness in the husbandry is found in the delight of the bees, of one's neighbors in the beauty of sight and smell, and of the soil being enriched, and of critters who take shelter among the thorns.

Spockgirl said...

D:
No... sadly... it is much less complicated than that, but thank you for the effort. You have just helped me figure it out.

I am become nothing... therefore I can now find beauty in everything.

Spockgirl said...

... anything... not everything.

DaveO said...

kewl beanos. glad to help :)

Sounds rather zen-ish.

Spockgirl said...

D;
Yes, rather does, doesn't it.

KrippledWarrior said...

The short answer is IMAGINATION.

Spockgirl said...

KW:
Hmm... but if you say by way of imagination, doesn't that then imply that the beauty does not exist where it is found.