Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Two Guys, a Road-trip and an Alien...

Movie Review:


I hadn’t rented a movie in quite some time, and the two choices I had in mind were “Paul” and “Your Highness”. Even though I figured that the latter would have a higher entertainment value quotient on a whole, I went with “Paul”, just because I have a soft spot for Simon Pegg. I’m not exactly sure what it is about him, except perhaps for the fact that he reminds me of a grown-up Charlie Brown for some reason, and that he is, for lack of a better word... unique? Anyways, who better to portray two geeks on a UFO hot spot road trip than Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, who, in addition to playing the main characters, also wrote the screenplay.  Add in an escaped alien named Paul, a couple trailer park Bible thumpers, the requisite secret government agency, death and resurrection, a couple yokels, male bonding and a love interest... and I think that about covers everything. 

I might have enjoyed this more if I had not watched the trailer, but there were still plenty of laughs to be had. Oh...  and I did have to chuckle a little extra with the Comic-con scenes as there are a couple blogs that I read on a regular basis that the bloggers had attended said "conventions"... and had posted pictures of same on their respective blogs last year.

I knew there was a reason that I should have written this right after watching the movie on Friday night, but I didn't, so a lot of the funny bits escape me now. I do however remember the following:

"What did you do to him?"
"I didn’t do anything to him - he fainted!"
"But you made him faint!"
"It’s not like I set my phaser to faint!"
"You’ve got a phaser?"

No comments: