Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, October 17, 2011

Dancing with tears in my eyes...


I've had a song in my head for about a week or more, but couldn't remember the title or much of the song for that matter. The other day I opened a box of CDs that I was going to be getting rid of for many years now but never did, and I found one by Midge Ure, the lead singer for a band called Ultravox that I remember listening to in the 80s. As soon as I saw the CD, I knew it was his voice in that song which had resonated with me, so I went aGoogling for info and found that the song I was thinking of was "Vienna". When I went looking for a link, I ended up finding a few versions, but this one was the cleanest, or clearest that I could find:



Oddly enough I clicked on another link and found a live acoustic version from twenty years later, with the comedian Eddie Izzard accompanying on the piano. I thought that was weird not because Mr. Izzard is playing the piano, but because I had posted a link to one of his stand-up routines not too long ago.

Anyways...  in the midst of the YouTubing, I also rediscovered a song of theirs that I had almost completely forgotten. The funny thing is that I have a vague recollection that the end of the world was often on the periphery of my thoughts back in my youth, which makes it surprising that I didn't remember the song or the video until it started playing.



Listening to that song again after more than two decades, brings to mind a question tonight.  If the world were to end tomorrow, are you where you want to be... or with someone that you want to be with?

7 comments:

DaveO said...

No, and No. You?

And I'm craving zigeuner schnitzel.

DaveO said...

Been listening to Bond: Sahara and Quixote. May I further recommend Il Divo?

Spockgirl said...

No, and No.

I think I've had schnitzel once. Had to google for the Zigeuner bit. Sounds good.

Had to google Bond. Were you drooling? As for Il Divo, would have to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to them.

DaveO said...

Heh - yes, I was.

Zigeuner schnitzel, with a bit of spatzle and salat and krystal is most excellente!

Spockgirl said...

D:
krystal? All I can think of is Cristal, but that can't be what you mean.

DaveO said...

Krystalweissen: a beer. In America, one usually only finds her heavier cousin, Hefe, imported.

Spockgirl said...

Never a beer drinker was I. I do have a favourite cheap German White Wine though, and would at some point like to get my hands on a late harvest or Eiswein.