Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, October 21, 2011

Tomorrow Never Knows...


I heard a song the other night, and knew that I had heard it before, but I couldn't for the life of me remember where or when. The one I listened to was a cover by Phil Collins, on another CD that was in the "getting rid of" stack. I was picking my brain about who sang it before, and recalled it being on a movie soundtrack... The Craft. I could not figure out who sang the original though, so I had to Google it. Turns out it was by ... the Beatles.  The album was "Revolver" and I have a funny feeling that I used to have the vinyl LP.


"Tomorrow Never Knows"

Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream
It is not dying, it is not dying

Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void
It is shining, it is shining

Yet you may see the meaning of within
It is being, it is being

Love is all and love is everyone
It is knowing, it is knowing

And ignorance and hate mourn the dead
It is believing, it is believing

But listen to the colour of your dreams
It is not leaving, it is not leaving

So play the game "Existence" to the end
Of the beginning, of the beginning
Of the beginning, of the beginning
Of the beginning, of the beginning
Of the beginning, of the beginning

Wow... listening to the words, really listening to just the words and reading them after what seems like an eternity, makes me wonder if the interrelated structure of reality has indeed brought me full circle, from the ending of one to the beginning of another. Hell... I knew that the end of many things was here, I just didn't know when the beginning is supposed to begin... and of what? All I saw...  all that I yet see... is the void of uncertainty.

4 comments:

thormoo said...

One of my top 10 Fav songs of all time...I always just loved that chaotic, drum fill pounding beginning with John Lennon's voice almost reciting the lyrics with a poetic cadence.

I had no idea that fill Collins covered this tune...not sure if I want to even listen to that. For me...there are just songs that can't be covered...Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" being the most frequently given example...This is one of those as well. I think it's Lennon's unique voice and yes, that cadence that give this song DRIVE...at least for me.

thank you for reminding us of this Beauty this morning!

Spockgirl said...

T:
I'm not sure what it is about this song... the drums for sure... Maybe it is that the voice and the drums are on equal footing, so to speak.

Actually Phil's version wasn't too, too bad. Oh... as for Stairway to Heaven... I don't know if there would be any way to reproduce the tone... the voice of that song. Now you have me wondering about who could feasibly sing it. Maybe... Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)... maybe. Don't think anyone could quite fit John Lennon's voice though.

This kinda makes me wonder, once again, what other songs there are buried in the back of my head.

thormoo said...

I think you're absolutely right about Chris Cornell being able to sing stairway....I'd love to hear his interpretation of that song. It seems to me that I have hear "tomorrow" being covered...

Voice and drums combination on Tomorrow is definately a huge part of what makes that song mesmerizing for me. There is another song on Revolver: "She said, She said" that has always been a companion song to "Tomorrow" for me. "She said...I know what it's like to be dead...I know what it's like to be sad....and you're making me feel like I've never been born" Sorry, I'm quoting those lyrics from memory but you get the picture...that is absolutely one of my very favorite songs EVER. I'm glad you brought this up because I was jamming to "Revolver" yesterday because of it! "Rubber Soul" the album that came before it too...it was a Beatles afternoon here on the Island!

Spockgirl said...

T:
Musical Memory Tour... Magical Mystery Tour... Funny, I just thought of that, and I think Magical Mystery Tour was one of their albums too.