Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, November 11, 2011

Cold and wet...



After attending the Remembrance Day service this morning, I walked home not realizing how wet I was. I knew I was getting wet and was very cold, but I hadn't really thought about the extent of the wetness, standing there in the pouring rain, thoughts drifting to the soldiers in the mud and blood filled trenches during the Great War. The list of the Legion members who had passed since last year's service was much shorter this year, and the service seemed longer. Only an hour in the rain, but when I got home, my fleece hat was soaked, as was my trenchcoat, fleece sweater and long-sleeved t-shirt underneath. Lets just say that I was literally soaked to the bone. Of course though, I had the luxury of coming home, peeling off those wet layers and changing into dry clothes. I went out to grab a hot lunch at Dairy Queen, sat across the booth from the nephew, with his surly attitude and scowl, also drenched from attending the service. At least I was able to get him to talk about something. Also had a nice chat with Grandpa B, which, according to the nephew was... boring.  The only thing that would have made this cold, dreary day more typically Canadian would be if I had had ice cream.

When I got home and finished checking emails, I noticed an interesting link to WWII Veteran stories here, and from there, went to take a look at The Memory Project, where you can listen to WWII and Korean War Veterans themselves relate their war-time memories.  Lest ye forget.

10 comments:

DaveO said...

Sounds like you had a very nice day. With the exception of Surly Teenager, One Each, you had a day in keeping with the sombre tone of the day.

And, thank you for teaching me something new yesterday. I was unaware of Remembrance Day being more like my Memorial Day.

Ice cream in winter. Like to believe it's just you, or just a Canadienne thing, but W.T.H, over.

Big Sister said...

Same wavelength re the Great War - Gremlin2 was read the Riot Act - I told him Everyone was Freezing and Wet, and reminded him of how the Honor Guard stood there in their uniforms getting soaked, never flinched an inch....along with our Members in Red Serge and Folks in Kilts. I told him to imagine being hungry and soaked to the bone in a mud-filled trench in the middle of Nowhere with the deafening sounds of artillery filling the air, the suffering of the wounded,and the stench of death endured by those who fought for Freedom in the Great War...He ended up ringing Gran and Gramp to apologize for being such a Miserable Grump. (BTW - Umbrellas are actually heavy...)

Spockgirl said...

D:
I think generally speaking, most Americans are unaware of the difference between our Remembrance Day and your Veterans Day. Heck, most probably wouldn't give a damn anyways.

Ice cream in winter, but not when it is wet out.

Spockgirl said...

Big Sis:
I can only imagine the rain that was pouring down the necks of the Honour Guard, with their heads bowed down for that hour. That was a massive rainfall.

Good to hear that surly boy called to apologize.

Oh... umbrellas heavy? Maybe for chicks with spaghetti arms.

DaveO said...

BTDT

snort @ spaghetti-armed umbrellas

No, we generally don't care about other folks' holidays, unless there's alcohol involved. As for moi, I'm viewing it from the dissonence of Canada being a North American country (geographically and historically) with strong UK traditions/ways of looking at things.

Toughest thing is not the cold rain going down one's neck and back - it's suppressing the shiver that usually accompanies such. Of course, a hot toddy and warm conversation with some dry humour, afterward helps :)

Spockgirl said...

Dave:
Heh... I had to look up BTDT. I'm not one for abbreviations and emoticons.

Yes, Canada does have Brit traditions/ ways/ tendencies.

I didn't bother with an umbrella, just had a hat on, but I heard that the umbrellas were saturated and some leaking.

Although all are invited, I've never gone to the Legion afterwards, rather anti-social me that I be.

DaveO said...

I understand anti-social tendencies. Comes with listening to 80s New Wave. I haven't been to the VFW or the DAV in a few years.

Spockgirl said...

D:
No I think it was before that. Abba and the Doors.

DaveO said...

You blaspeme against ABBA and the Doors?!?!?!

Have you no shame, woman!

Is this the end of a dancing queen?

Spockgirl said...

Heh.