Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Respect...


So it bothered me. I prefer to stand alone and to the back. That is just my way. The only problem is that in a wide open space, in a public park, open space is fair game. A tall elderly gentleman, a veteran by appearance and bearing, had found a place to stand beneath the cover of a tall tree. I was on the opposite side of the sidewalk, under the protection of the same tree. Some people gathered behind me and to the right, and began idle chit-chat. It was raining heavily. The man who had initiated the conversation behind me did not stop. As the parade approached, the bagpipers leading the way, he kept talking, and it bothered me. I moved out slightly from the cover of the tree to stand next to a lamppost. I could still hear him talking. He didn't stop talking until after the bagpipes had stopped. So it bugged me, the little hard-ass that I am.

I wouldn't have written anything about this, except that today in checking out some blogs that I hadn't read in quite some time, I saw this gem. Thank you Soldier, for being who you are and doing what you do.  (Thank you D for bringing that to my attention.)


YouTubeLink. (Views 6,651)


From Castra Praetoria.

4 comments:

DaveO said...

SG,

A correction, with thanks for linking the video :)

That is not a marine, but a Soldier. He's a member the 3d Infantry Regiment, the "Old Guard," and a Tomb guard to boot.

Our marines have earned many honors, but this, the guarding of the Tomb, belongs to the Old Guard.

The Guard is not supposed to stop until properly relieved; but methinks them that lie below him appreciated his defense of them.

Spockgirl said...

D:
Thanks for clarifying that. I had a "funny" feeling it wasn't a Marine (uniform), but for some reason I thought I saw THAT word somewhere. I also wasn't sure if this was Arlington or not.

And yes, I also thought that ANY standing guard is not supposed to stop. Methinks I agree.

DaveO said...

Does Canada have an equivalent duty performed by CF?

Spockgirl said...

Good question. I'm not sure, but perhaps in Ottawa.