Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, April 30, 2012

"And Night shall fold him in soft wings."


"The naked earth is warm with spring,
And with green grass and bursting trees
Leans to the sun's gaze glorying,
And quivers in the sunny breeze;
And life is colour and warmth and light,
And a striving evermore for these;
And he is dead who will not fight;
And who dies fighting has increase."

(An excerpt from "Into Battle" by Julian Grenfell, who died in the Great War.)



To honour the fallen since last time:

U.K. (2)
U.S. (California (4), Florida (2), Mississippi,
        North Carolina, New York, Tennessee,
        Wisconsin, Texas (3), Georgia, Hawaii,
        Illinois, Idaho, Pennsylvania, Kentucky,
        Indiana, Rhode Island, Washington)

3 comments:

thormoo said...

Julian Grenfell is one of my absolute favorites. I adore the Great War Poets...they move me beyond compare.

(On a more practical note SG, I wish you'd get rid of the Captcha or whatever that letter scrambler thing is, I cannot read the dang thing and believe it or not, I haven't left a post because of the dang thing. OK, I said it.

Spockgirl said...

I kinda wish that I hadn't given the book of WWI poetry I had to my brother as a gift.

(Ah... I have a hard time reading the letters as well. I'll see what I can do. Haven't looked at the settings since I started the blog.)

thormoo said...

Thank you!