Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Yeah, meh and nah

Three not quite movie reviews.

I watched three movies the other night... Or rather two and a bit... Had to finish the third one the next day. I would do a review of each, but I just can't. Well, I could, but considering the second movie was a "meh" and that I had a hard time just sitting through the third one, I don't think it would be a good idea. However, since I got to watch them for free, I should say something about them right?

Okay... so... here I go... Warning: I'm going to be brief, and not very nice.

The first movie I watched was "The Help". Had an interesting storyline, compelling characters and was both funny and sad.

The second was "I Don't Know How She Does It" starring Sarah Jessica Parker with Pierce Brosnan and Greg Kinnear. Sort of charming and funny.

The third one was "The Accidental Husband" starring Uma Thurman, Colin Firth and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (the charmer from P.S. I Love You). I left this for last, and was almost tempted to not finish watching the whole thing. Maybe it was just me on that day, but I found it cluttered, noisy and annoying. Not sure if it is that I didn't find the characters appealing or likeable, or if it was something lacking in the writing. I think I just like romantic comedies to be less frenetic... or to have a little more natural flow if they are going to be cluttered.

These are movies that I'd have to be in the right frame of mind to watch in order to appreciate them. Although, come to think of it, when I used to rent movies, if I was watching more than one, I would have to watch an action with a rom-com, or a comedy with a drama. I think I'd have a hard time watching consecutive rom-coms or back-to-back dramas. But that's just me. So maybe that third movie might have been better if I'd watched it first... I don't know.

2 comments:

Ralphd00d said...

I watched 'The Help' prolly about 2 weeks ago, and though it wasn't bad, it wasn't something "awesome". The other two I have no interest for. Good news, I have Underworld 4 making its way to my mailbox today.....

Spockgirl said...

Curious to know what you think of the 4th Underworld instalment when you get a chance to watch it.