Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Monday, June 25, 2012

Pretty in pink

Peonies a plenty...
and roses that remind me of Redoute.


(Some from the other side of the house a couple years ago.)


This reminds me of the time many moons ago when my sister tried to convince me to buy a pale pink linen dress. It was a very simple long a-line with a chemise style bodice. It did not look good. The cut nor the colour. Just because I had rosy cheeks did not mean that I suited a pink dress, especially that particular style. I ended up buying a long bias cut, sage-light olive coloured linen one with straps instead and I know for sure that that pink thing would have remained in my closet unworn until I got rid of it, whereas the green one was a wardrobe staple. (Oh... but way, way, way back... in high school, I do know that mom made me a pale pink strappy mini-dress for one of the dances. AND... I had a fuschia dress for another. OMG!!! It is all flooding back now. The horror of the 80s. Pouffy hair, shoulder-pads, colour... gah. I think that was the last hurrah before I went into the all black bit.)

Oh... the funny thing about pink is that when I was a little girl, my favourite colour was purple, but I think that pink things were easier to come by. When I picked out a china pattern with my mom, the one I chose had a plethora of ... pink roses on it. Of course I grew out of that choice, but it is still very pretty, just rather ... busy for my tastes. I think that even then, I found and appreciated the beauty in things, even if it was something that wasn't particularly me.

No comments: