Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Saturday, July 28, 2012

Curious...


Very odd... Last time I was here on the blog, probably around midnight, there were 9370 visits showing on Sitemeter. When I came back on just now... 9364. It indicated that there had been 4 new visits, so the total should be 9374, which means that 10 visits have vanished from the Sitemeter record. I have a thing for numbers, and my memory for numbers used to be excellent, and is still very good compared to my memory for personal life history. If I recall correctly, there were 26,219 Blogger Pageviews when last I checked and when I looked just now there were 26,262. I do specifically remember there being 15 Blogger Pageviews for "today", and now there are 60. Hmm... I know that Sitemeter is more "sensitive" and that Blogger picks up ANY hits, but this just seems a little strange looking at it right now. The funny thing is that the disappearance of the 10 Sitemeter visits coincides with the 4 latest visits (plus one, after I was typing this up), which appear to be somewhat suspect in nature. Judging from the number of similarities to the differences of each, it might possibly be the same person scrambling IP addresses? I don't get that much traffic, so this is just me being curious.

Update: Jul 28 2012 10:25AM... I figured I would log in to Sitemeter and root around there. According to their "Knowledge Center" News/Announcements, they moved servers yesterday. That would explain the glitch/lost visits. The other thing that was odd is that the HTML code must have changed for the counter itself. It is no longer centered at the bottom of the page nor is it flush with the other meter's map above it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I use StatCounter as tracking, it seems to "know" to filter out all those wacky ones from Russia and similar locales, while Blogger tracks them ... also, I kept trying to follow you last night, and it kept giving me an error message but this morning there you are in my blog feed ... I think it's just having a bad day.

Spockgirl said...

I think when I was giong to add a counter to the blog, I checked out about three or four. Not sure if StatCounter was among those, but I'll take a look-see. Sitemeter basic level free service seemed to have pretty much everything I needed. I just found out that apparently they moved Servers yesterday, which would explain the glitch on my blog. The problem with you following though would have been a separate blogger issue I would think. I know you've been here before, but welcome aboard. I still don't quite get why anyone would follow my blog (especially now that I seem to be fading) ... but thanks!

Spockgirl said...

GAH! typing error... going, not giong. Geesh.