Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Sunday, August 12, 2012

A dream of illumination


Two years ago about this time, I was in the midst of my worst insomnia phase, which if I recall correctly, lasted several months, with but perhaps 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours of sleep a day. Occasionally I may have made it to 3 hours, but that was rare. I don't know why, but I specifically remember a dream from that time, one which provided me with a completely serene feeling. I had never had a dream like it in my life... ever. Its content was clear and vivid, positive and comforting. This was what I had written about it:

August 3, 2010

With my severe lack of sleep over the past two months, I don’t believe I had been making it to the REM portion of the sleep cycle for over a month, and haven’t had recollection of any dreams at all, until today. I remember three, but the one in the middle is the most detailed, which I recall as follows:

I was walking towards a shimmering ball room, which I perceived to be in an ice palace of sorts because of its diamond-like luminescence, where people seemed to be floating about as they were dancing so effortlessly, swirling over the dance floor. I know that I was late arriving, I was NOT wearing black, my colour of choice, and that I was looking for someone. As I was passing through the entranceway that seemed to be lined with glass and faded light, I noticed to my right a young man who seemed rather sad, sitting on a bench. He looked familiar, but I didn’t recognize him. I was going to ask him a question, but didn’t. I thought I was looking for someone in particular, but perhaps that was not the case – If I had been, I know that I would have gone in to walk around and see if I could find whomever it was I was looking for. I turned to walk away and found myself in a room, with the same subdued light, as if the walls were illuminated from within. I don’t think I was sad or tired, but there was a chaise in the middle of the room, so for some reason, I went to lie down, on my side, facing away from the door, and closed my eyes. I sensed someone had come in the room, so I held out my hand without looking and said “please stay with me”. I don’t know if this was the person I was looking for, the young man I had seen on the bench, or someone else, but he took my hand and said “I knew that was what you wanted.”

2 comments:

DaveO said...

Wow!

What a pleasant dream :) It is so romantic! No sarcasm - reading it put me in pleasant, delicious mood.

I also see it as Romantic, as in Taylor and the Shelleys and Byron. Did you research the symbols, the light and dark, the sad man and your closed eyes?

I want to put your dream in one of my stories. May I please?

Spockgirl said...

Yes, I understand what you mean by Romantic. Oddly enough, no, I didn't look into it, because the feeling I got from it was too "pure" for lack of a better word. Almost as though the serentiy and comfort it provided was its purpose.

You write stories? Did you ever get around to starting a blog? Now I'm curious. Why on earth would you want to use this dream? Pop me an email to let me know what kind of story you are working on.