Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Friday, November 30, 2012

Resistance is futile...


You want me... You need me... You'll love me. You must have me. You know you want me. It called to me... and I gave in. I couldn't resist. And I regretted it as soon as I walked out the door. Now it sits smugly waiting for me.

Freshly ground Sea Salt with thyme, freshly ground black peppercorns, an onion, a cup of baby carrots, one big potato, some oregano and hot pepper flakes... and a red wine. I went with a 2002 Trapiche Merlot Malbec from Argentina that has been sitting in my kitchen for several years collecting dust on a small shelf in the corner.

I overdid it. Too long cooking. I didn't shorten the cooking time enough, so it didn't come out succulent and moist and tender as I was thinking about yesterday. Well... for a rookie with a CrockPot and a Peppercorn Beef Roast, even with the overwelldoneness, it actually tasted pretty good. Spicy... peppery... and I think that wine was a pretty good choice with the peppercorns. I split it up so that some of the beef is in a bowl with the veggies and the rest is sliced up thinly and soaking up the "gravy"... Tomorrow it should be more moist and flavourful... Perfect with crusty bread... with butter, but I'll settle for margarine... because I have ... beef...

No comments: