Greetings from Spockgirl Musings, where logic rules, but the frailties of
human nature, genetic inadequacies and hormonal imbalances wreak havoc.



Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Oh Reuben...

I was so close...

I hadn't bought groceries for over a month, so back in December, just before Christmas, I splurged on things like bacon (for the first time I think since I've been in this place), Damn Hot Pepperoni sticks and sandwich meat. I have always had this thing for Buddig Corned Beef... ever since I was a kid... Not sure why. But the different meats were on sale, so I decided to pick up Corned Beef, Ham and Turkey. Needless to say, the ham and turkey were sub-par to say the least. They were on sale so it wasn't a huge deal. But still, trying "new" things, still not quite working out very well. Well... I had also picked up a jar of Sweet Pickled Onions on sale... There I was standing at the end of the aisle... thinking to myself "ooh... Sweet Pickled Onions or Gherkins!!!" Glad I went with the onions... because...
 
I had a brilliant idea... toast the white bread, slather it with Dijon Mustard and Miracle Whip, slice the tiny pickled onions, and slap on the Corned Beef... I didn't have sauerkraut, so I gave the pickled onions a shot... They did not disappoint. As a replacement for a Reuben sandwich, it might have actually been better.

I also had enough Corned Beef in that one little package to have with marble cheese on white bread slathered with Miracle Whip and Dijon, tomato slices and thinly sliced raw white onions, Damn... that was fine too...

***

Oh... and I finally finished the package of bacon. It lasted for two weeks. I had Bacon solo, Bacon crumbled on homemade milk of potato and carrot soup, Bacon with Eggo Waffles, BLT (twice!!! and on white bread!!!) but without the L ... And, to top it all off, I had Bacon accompanied by ... Orange Juice! The litre of OJ lasted about the same amount of time. I drank it rather sparingly so as to savour its citrusy goodness. The perfect foil for the crispy-chewy, fatty awesomeness that is Bacon.

No comments: